A PURCHASE IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE HALO: OUTPOST DISCOVERY COSPLAY CONTEST
The Contest is offered only in the fifty (50) United States. Void outside of the 50 United States, in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law. All individuals who are legal U.S. residents are eligible to enter, with the following exceptions (all of whom are ineligible to enter or win the Contest): Residents of Puerto Rico and the States of Arizona, New York and Rhode Island, and employees of Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, representatives, suppliers, vendors, fulfillment agencies, and advertising and promotion agencies and their immediate families (parent, child, spouse, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and those living in the same household of each, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or to win the Contest. All entries submitted in compliance with these Official Rules and not disqualified are considered “Eligible Entries.”
The Contest begins on June 6, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. ET and ends on August 31, 2019 at 10:00 p.m. PT.
Herschend Live, LLC, 5445 Triangle Parkway, Suite 300, Peachtree Corners, Georgia 30092.
Halo: Outpost Discovery Venues (each a “Venue”)
|Orlando, FL||July 5, 6, & 7|
|Philadelphia, PA||July 19, 20, & 21|
|Chicago, IL||August 2, 3, & 4|
|Houston, TX||August 16, 17, & 18|
|Anaheim, CA||August 30, 31, & Sept. 1|
Adult participants (ages 18 and older) may pre-register by visiting https://halooutpostdiscovery.com/cosplaycontest whereyou will be directed to a registration form. Entrants must include in the entry form their name, date of birth, home address, e-mail address, telephone number, Contest category (Armor, Needlework or FX) and Venue. Thereafter, you will be directed to upload a photo of yourself in costume. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled submissions, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entries are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will neither be acknowledged nor returned.
Adult participants (ages 18 and older) may also register in person at the Venue’s cosplay lounge between 12:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. on Friday or between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Saturday only. You will be assigned a pre-judging time slot at this time.
Youth participants (ages 17 and younger and with parental or guardian consent) must register in person at the Venue’s cosplay lounge between 12:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. on Friday or between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Saturday only. You will be assigned a pre-judging time slot at this time.
All Contest participants must check-in at the Venue’s cosplay lounge between 12:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. on Friday or between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Saturday to receive a pre-judging time slot. Pre-judging will occur at the Venue’s cosplay lounge between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday. Please arrive on time and in costume. If you miss your pre-judging time slot, you will be automatically disqualified from the Contest.
Amateur costumes must be at least 50% modified / hand-made. “Modified” includes removing or adding pieces of detailing, tailoring, painting, or distressing.
Professional costumes must be 75% modified / hand-made. Commissioned costumes may be worn upon full disclosure from the participant and designer, the latter of whom must also be present for the participant to enter or win the Contest.
Costume Weapons & Props
Only simulated costume weapons and props are allowed in the Contest, and subject to prior inspection and approval by Sponsor and [City] police. Ultimately, Sponsor and [City] police will decide what simulated weapons and props are allowed. However, the following guidelines will apply:
- Live firearms including airsoft, either functioning or de-commissioned, are not permitted.
- Replica firearms made from metal, solid resin/plastic/rubber are not permitted.
- All firearm costume props and weapons must be rendered inoperable and are required to have an orange safety tip at all times.
- Any bow-type weapons must be unstrung or strung with a low-tensile thread. All prop arrows must have soft, non-metal, blunted tips made out of foam or cardboard only.
- Metal or wooden baseball bats or clubs of any kind are not permitted
- Metal swords, knives & spears are not permitted. Any sharp implements are likewise not permitted (to include needles, syringes, or ceramic blades).
- Any simulated weapon or prop that produces flames will not be permitted.
- Stilts and costumes which include stilts may be prohibited from certain venues. Be aware that you may be asked to remove them.
- If your simulated weapon or prop is not approved for entry into the Contest, you will be allowed to leave it in the Venue’s 24-hour security office (at your own risk) and retrieve it when you leave the Venue. Otherwise, you will be asked to take the simulated weapon or prop back to your vehicle or hotel room.
The judging of all Eligible Entries will occur on the following dates and times at each Venue by a panel of five (5) judges using the following criteria in their sole discretion:
|Orlando, FL||July 5, 6, & 7||7:00 pm|
|Philadelphia, PA||July 19, 20, & 21||7:00 pm|
|Chicago, IL||August 2, 3, & 4||7:00 pm|
|Houston, TX||August 16, 17, & 18||7:00 pm|
|Anaheim, CA||August 30, 31, & Sept. 1||7:00 pm|
- Execution (how well the costume is constructed) (25%)
- Creativity (design choices, use of materials, personalized embellishments) (25%)
- Complexity (how wide the range of skills used in construction) (25%)
- Accuracy (how close the costume is to the source material) (25%)
All judging will be in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion and Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entrant. Winners must be present to win.
Entry Conditions and Release
By entering, each participant agrees to:
- Have read and understood and be bound by these Official Rules;
- Comply with these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and/or the Contest judges which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Contest; and
- Release and hold harmless Sponsor and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and any other organizations responsible for sponsoring, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and all of their respective past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a participant’s entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the Contest, acceptance or use or misuse of prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, exploitation or use of entry; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Sponsor from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or relating to an entrant’ participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s acceptance, use or misuse of prize.
- All participants ages 17 or younger
- First Place – Exclusive Halo: Outpost Discovery VIP Prize Bundle and MEGA Infinity Set
- Second Place – Exclusive Halo: Outpost Discovery VIP Prize Bundle
- Third Place – Exclusive Halo: Outpost Discovery VIP Prize Bundle
- Category focused on costumes primarily comprised of hard-surface armor fabrication, molding/shaping, and other hard-surface material techniques
- First Place – $1000
- Second Place – $500
- Third Place – $200
- Category focused on costumes primarily comprised of sewing, stitching, embroidery, textile manipulation, tailoring, and other garment construction techniques
- First Place – $1000
- Second Place – $500
- Third Place – $200
- Category focused on costumes primarily featuring special effects achieved through lighting, electronic programming, prosthetic/special effects makeup, and other techniques
- First Place – $1000
- Second Place – $500
- Third Place – $200
- Best in Show
- Overall winner among all categories
- First Place – $2000 cash prize and Mega Construx Halo UNSC Infinity building set
- Runner-up – $1000 cash prize
- Judge’s Choice
- Each judge chooses their favorite participant from any of the categories
- PRIZE: $200 cash prize
- Audience Favorite
- Audience participation-ordained recognition for audience favorite contestant
- PRIZE: Exclusive Halo: Outpost Discovery VIP Prize Bundle
Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes winner’s consent to Sponsor’s and its agents use of winner’s name, likeness and voice in and production, reproduction, distribution, transmission, publication, public performance, broadcast or exhibition of advertising, broadcast or telecast of the event, promotions, contests, photograph take, or other transmission or reproduction in connection with the Contest for any purposes, without compensation.
Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
Limitations of Liability
The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, other than those concerning the administration of the Contest or the determination of winners, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved exclusively by the United States District Court or the appropriate Georgia State Court located in the Gwinnett County, Georgia; (iii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (iv) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Georgia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Georgia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Georgia.
Entrant’s Personal Information
Additional Prize Information & Conditions
Winners will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, Publicity Release and Liability Waiver (unless prohibited by law), an IRS Form W-9 and any other documents that may be required by Sponsor. If a Prize Winner fails to comply with these Official Rules and/or fails to submit the documentation required by Sponsor, the prize winner will be disqualified and the Prize will be awarded to an alternate winner. Eligibility, age, and claims made by prize winner are subject to verification. No cash redemptions or prize substitutions will be allowed except at Sponsor’s sole discretion, who reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize of comparable or greater value. All federal, state and local taxes, and any other costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use are the sole responsibility of the winner. The prize is awarded “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees, either express or implied by Sponsor. All prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
To receive a list of the winners names, send a business-sized, self-addressed, stamped envelope by to: “Cosplay Contest- Winners” c/o Herschend Live, 5445 Triangle Parkway, Suite 300, Peachtree Corners, GA 30092.